I bought this car back in 1999 from a junkyard for the sum of $250. It is a 1972 Buick Skylark Suncoupe. It had major front end damage, no drivetrain and most of the interior is gone. Why would I have bought such a piece of junk you ask? About 2 weeks before I got it I was in a book store looking at some books about muscle cars. Long storey short, this book said if you ever find a Suncoupe you'd better hang on to it because they are pretty rare. I thought wow it would be neat to see on of those let-alone own one. I was wandering through a junkyard in I.F. 2 weeks later and was staring at one of these rare cars and had to have it. At the time I didn't know how rare it is but since then I have found out that they only made 3924 of them. The reason this car is so rare is the fact that it has a sun roof in it. It has a section that slides back, much like the old VW bugs and rabbits did. I have only ever seen one other car that has this roof and it was a 72 Nova in Idaho Falls. The others I have seen have been in pictures. We hauled it to Mom and Dads place in Firth and there it sat until the fall of 2007. A friend brought it up to Rexburg and we put it on the lift he has in his garage and I put a new frame under it that I had gotten in 2005. So now it would roll. Today we put it on a trailer and took it to Rex's body shop and started to pull the firewall out so Brittney and I can start to put her car together and have some great memories that both of us will remember forever and she will always know that I love her. She came to Michelle and I a few weeks ago and asked if she could have a cellphone. I asked her why she needed a phone and she said that a girl in her class had one. I said "let me ask you this, How many kids in your class have a car?" She said "None" I told her that when she feel bad that she doesn't have a phone she can remember that she is the only one in middle school that has a car. She liked that answer, She is excited to get to work on "Her" car with her Dad.
I believe that kids can learn responsibility with a car almost like having an animal to take care of. If a kid has to use their own time and money to fix up and take care of a car they will be much more careful with it no matter where they are. I have a sister that got my Mom's old car when they got a new one. Becky drove that car into the ground. When she had to buy one with her own money she treated it like it was made of gold. I believe my kids will act this same way having to put their own efforts into these cars. Brittney has this Skylark, Jarrett has a 1976 Chevy pickup that used to be my Grandpa's, Dell doesn't have one yet but he wants a truck.
The first picture is on the rack, the second is the big wowie in the firewall, the third and fourth are us loading it on the trailer. Notice that I am sticking up through the roof. The fourth picture has another Skylark in the background, that one is a parts car for this one.



Awsome car!! Looks like you will be having lots of fun!K, now you need to get a facebook page too. It is easy, then look me up Sarah Gehret Heath and add me as a friend! It is fun, and a good way to keep in contact. Love ya lots, and miss you tons.
ReplyDelete